Friday, August 17, 2007

Grilled Swordfish with Tomato-Herb Salsa




My mom was visiting for a few days, and after too many indulgent meals out, I decided to cook one of her favorites, swordfish. I wanted to change it up on my creature-of-habit mother though, and marinade it and top it with something she would not expect. Swordfish to my mom typically means marinating in lemon juice and herbs, topping with herb butter and fresh lemon. Don’t get me wrong, it is delicious; I just wanted to surprise her palate. I also wanted to use up some garden tomatoes as well. I used this recipe from epicurious as my guide, and only made a few changes, which I noted below.

I started with 2 gorgeous, thick, and fresh swordfish steaks, and marinated in a combination of herbs, extra virgin olive oil (very small amount), and some white wine. I used fresh thyme, garlic, basil, marjoram (dried, I couldn’t find fresh at the store), and fresh ground pepper and sea salt. After marinating for about 30 minutes, I placed the fish on the grill, turning after about 6-7 minutes (my fish was rather thick, this will vary depending on thickness).

I served the swordfish with fresh green beans, so after I had rinsed and snapped the ends of the beans, I placed them in a foil packet with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little minced garlic and fresh thyme. I placed the foil packet on the grill along with the swordfish.

Meanwhile, I got to work on the tomato-herb salsa. I changed the recipe I found on epicurious slightly, by adding garlic and white whine to the salsa. I omitted the steps of peeling and blanching the tomatoes. To me, the salsa resembled more of a bruschetta, but oh well, it was still very tasty!

I served the fish over a bed of whole wheat couscous, which I made with vegetable stock, garlic, and some fresh basil.

1 comment:

Cara said...

mmm how I love swordfish! looks like a yummy meal :)