Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Healthy Enchilada Casserole, in the Crockpot




Now that I have found my way back to the gym and seem to have mountains of correcting to do every night, making dinner is sometimes a hassle. If I’m not making something creative or interesting, I am not excited about cooking at all. I definitely have a love-hate relationship with cooking. If I’m making plain old chicken breasts and broccoli, I loathe the task, but if I can try a new recipe, or get my creative juices flowing and come up with some fantastic creation, then I care to be no where else but the kitchen.

Anyway, as I was saying…putting something creative, delicious, healthful, and easy onto the table on weeknights sometimes seems like an impossible feat. I’ve been thinking of breaking out my yet-to-be-used Crockpot and let it do all the work one or two nights a week, but even still, many of the recipes I am finding don’t allow me to set it in the morning when I leave (at 6am) and have it ready when I return home at 6pm. I think my Crockpot might have a timer, but I haven’t had the time to read through the book and figure it out. I’m waiting for a rainy day! Anywho, I was able to find this recipe for an Enchilada Casserole from cookinglight, and since my husband works close to home, he was able to stop home in the middle of his day and start this baby up.

I didn’t alter the recipe much, except for adding slightly more enchilada sauce (Trader Joe’s) and perhaps throwing slightly more cheese in there. Actually, that is a lie; I DEFINITELY threw more cheese in than called for. It was low fat though, so I didn’t feel too bad about it. I added some cheese in before I added the corn muffin/bread mixture, that way there was some cheesy goodness running through the casserole, and not just on top.

My husband, Matt, often gets nervous at my attempts at meat-free meals, but this one left him quite satisfied, and I actually think I am slowly convincing him that every meal does not have to contain chicken, beef, pork, etc. Success!

No comments: