Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Bruschetta for One



My husband was not home for dinner tonight, so I was excited to 1) have something that I love, but he feels is an incomplete meal, and 2) use up some garden tomatoes.

I love bruschetta…I can eat it as a meal on its own. I make bruschetta as an appetizer to bring to parties, make bruschetta pasta, bruschetta chicken, and bruschetta pizza. And, occasionally, I like to have it for dinner. I made the same recipe I would if I were creating an appetizer, I just used larger slices of bread. When I make this as an appetizer, I serve it with toasted baguette slices, tonight, I served it with hearty wheat “Italian” bread slices.

I don’t measure, and sort of just created this recipe over time, based on ingredients I like, but here is the idea (if making as an appetizer, increase ingredient amounts. What is listed is plenty for 2 people:

2 tomatoes, diced and seeded (2 tomatoes will easily serve 2 people)
½ red onion, chopped
Handful of black olives, sliced (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced
Handful of fresh basil, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Red wine vinegar, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh mozzarella slices
Italian bread (I used a wheat variety, but it is better with the real thing!)

I poured a small amount of olive oil in the bottom of a small mixing bowl. I chopped and seeded 2 small tomatoes and added to the bowl. I then added the chopped onion followed by the salt, pepper, garlic, basil, thyme, and black olives. I added red wine vinegar, stirred, and let stand for about 1 hour at room temperature.

Meanwhile, I sliced the bread and preheated the broiler. I brushed each side of the bread with olive oil, thyme, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese (I mixed all these ingredients in a small prep bowl and brushed on). I put the slices under the broiler to toast both sides.

Once the bruschetta had marinated, I used a slotted spoon to drain, and spooned onto the bread. I topped with slices of fresh part-skim mozzarella and placed under the broiler until the cheese melted.

Dinner for one, yummy!

No comments: