Sunday, September 30, 2007

Apple Crisp


After apple picking, I was itching to make something yummy involving my new treasures. I didn’t have the time for a pie, or even for dumplings, so a quick, somewhat healthy apple crisp sounded perfect! I didn’t follow an exact recipe, but here is the gist…

I started by coring, peeling, and slicing 6 apples. I placed in a baking dish with a little lemon juice. I sprinkled with cinnamon and went to work on the “crisp” portion of the dessert. I combined oats (maybe ½ or ¾ of a cup?), cinnamon, Splenda brown sugar, nutmeg, a pinch of salt, and a small amount of whole wheat flour (less than ¼ cup) with small dabs of Smart Balance Light margarine. I mixed with my fingers, and once the mixture held together in small clumps, I poured over the apples. I baked at 375 degrees for about a ½ hour, until topping was browned. I served with light vanilla bean ice cream.

No comments: