Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sweet Apple and Maple Chicken Sausage with Homemade Applesauce and Salad




Tonight I used the inspiration of the season as well as ingredients I had at home. The result was a deliciously seasonable meal my husband and I both enjoyed!

I started by making the applesauce. I cored, sliced, and peeled 5 apples (smaller apples – I used McIntosh). I placed them in a saucepot with a small amount of water (maybe ¼ cup). I cooked them over medium heat, adding cinnamon and nutmeg to the pot . Once boiling, I began to stir and mash the apples with a fork. After a few minutes (when it “looked” right, you could also taste), I removed from heat, transferred to a bowl, and stuck in the freezer to chill. Had I had more time, I would have chilled in the fridge.

I then placed the sausage on the grill. I used Trader Joe’s Sweet Apple and Pure Maple Syrup Chicken Sausages. I grilled them for about 10-12 minutes.

For the salad, I combined the following ingredients:

Salad:
Spring mix greens
Toasted walnuts
Turkey bacon
Golden raisins
Gorgonzola or cheddar cheese (I used both, I like gorgonzola, my husband does not)

Vinaigrette:
Apple cider vinegar
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Drop or 2 of pure maple syrup

I combined the ingredients for the dressing and poured into bottom of bowl, followed by the greens. I tossed to coat the leaves with the dressing. I then added the toasted walnuts, raisins, and crumbled turkey bacon. I tossed again, and topped with the cheese.

This was a tasty meal, I loved the way each part of the meal worked with the others, the flavors were really married in this dish. I also loved the zip the gorgonzola gave to the salad, a nice contrast to the sweetness.

(Yes, I realize it doesn't look that appealing and that the sausage looks like hot dogs!)

1 comment:

Deborah said...

This sounds really yummy! I love salads with flavors like that. :)