Saturday, February 9, 2008

Raspberry Bars



Matt and I had his parents and sisters over for an impromptu pizza party last night. I wanted to make something easy and light, yet delicious, for dessert. I remembered I had this recipe for Raspberry bars on hand, and after a quick scan of the fridge and pantry, it was a go - I had all the ingredients! I have to apologize, because I got the recipe from somewhere, I just have no idea where. I had the recipe saved as a Word document on my computer but I had neglected to include the source. Whoever you are, THANK YOU! These bars were simple to make and such a nice treat! The raspberry and the oats even give it the illusion that it is semi-healthy! The only changes I made were adding about a 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to the mix, and also using Trader Joe's No Sugar Added Raspberry Preserves instead of seedless jam. I happen to like the seeds, so I would have opted for a seeded variety anyway. This bar could easily be made with any type of jam/preservatives.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cup rolled oats
1 cup butter, softened
1 ½ cups seedless raspberry jam (room temp.)

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x13 inch pan, and line with greased foil.

Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, and rolled oats. Rub in the butter using your hands or a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture. Press 4 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool before cutting into bars.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

These sound really good... and seem so simple to make! Thanks for sharing.