Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Spinach & Tomato Quiche


I love myself a good quiche! I have made nearly a dozen different varieties...asparagus and red pepper...spinach and bacon...peppers, onion, and sausage...feta, spinach, red onion, and roasted red pepper...I could go on and on. I found this recipe from foodnetwork.com last year, and have been pleased with its taste, texture, and simplicity. I still can't believe I use a Paula Deen recipe (oh the buttah and heavy cream that she adores!), but I must say, this one is fool proof!

For this particular quiche, I followed the recipe for the egg mixture, but didn't feel the need to combine the ingredients in a food processor. I hate to dirty extra appliances when not necessary. I find that beating the eggs, and then adding the cream and salt & pepper to the bowl works just fine. Instead of the bacon and spinach suggested in the recipe, I added the spinach, but also about 1/2 of a small white onion (diced), one large tomato (diced), and one package of Canadian bacon (per my husband's request...or demand!). I browned the Canadian bacon in a skillet before adding to the pie.


I layered the veggies and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust, and then filled with the egg mixture. When I add more fillings than the recipe calls for, I find that I don't quite use all of the egg mixture. I placed the pie plate on a cookie sheet in case of egg overflow, and baked about 5 minutes longer than the suggested time.


*I always find that quiche is better reheated, after it has really had a chance to set.

No comments: