Sunday, March 2, 2008

Trying to Replicate Mom's Chicken Wings



Today I tried to make my mom’s chicken wings. And failed!!!!! This was my second time making them…and it certainly was not the charm, I guess the saying is true, “third time’s the charm.” I am counting on that, because these wings are SO GOOD, I would hate to not be able to do them justice next time! The first time I made them they were great, not quite mom’s, but pretty close. I didn’t take pictures then, because my camera was lost. This weekend, I decided to try them again, and for whatever reason, they just didn’t work.

First off, I used drumsticks instead of wings, they are easier to handle and contain more meat. That step was OKed by my mom, and in fact, she sometimes uses drumsticks, too. So that couldn’t have been where I went wrong.

I placed the washed drumsticks in a large baking dish (think lasagna sized) and poured a whole bottle of teriyaki sauce over them. I let them sit for about 15 minutes, and then flipped them over. I added a ¼ cup of pineapple juice and a ½ cup of orange juice to the mixture. Next, I sprinkled with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Finally, I poured a half a container of pourable light brown sugar onto the chicken. I baked covered for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. Once the cover was off, I based all of the wings with the sauce mixture, and added nearly the rest of the brown sugar. I cooked uncovered, continuing to baste once in a whole, for about 20 minutes.

The chicken was OK. Just OK. The flavor was subtle, and the caramelization was not nearly as great as when my mom makes them. Hers are so tender, so flavorful, and so deliciously crispy on the outside. Oh well, here’s to next time!

(Oh, and I served this with a side of jasmine rice cooked in coconut milk with pineapples.)

No comments: