Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hippity Hop Over for This Carrot Cake!





I have made a carrot cake every Easter for as long as I can remember, I think since I was in middle school. I have used a variety of recipes over the years, but this one has to be my favorite. I have used this recipe for 4 years now, and it has yet to disappoint. Even my sister in law, who hates carrot cake, loves this one! I believe I found the original recipe on allrecipes.com, but I have made some changes and altered it slightly. I do remember the original recipe calling for raisins and nuts, but I omit those. If you wanted to add, I would suggest maybe ¾ to 1 cup of walnuts or pecans, and maybe a cup of raisins.

Cake Ingredients:
2 cups four
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon allspice
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 and ¼ cups vegetable oil
2 cups grated carrots
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple – drained
½ cup flaked coconut

Cake Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease/coat two 9” round baking pans.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice – set aside.

In a separate, larger bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla by hand. Next, add the vegetable oil and stir until combined. (The mixture should be the consistency of pudding.)

Gradually stir in the dry ingredients, then fold in the carrots, pineapple, and coconut.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans and spread evenly. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.

Transfer cakes from pan to cooling racks. Let cool completely before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 packages of cream cheese
3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 pound confectioners sugar
Milk, as needed

Frosting Directions:

Combine the butter, cream cheese and vanilla in a stand mixer, or with an electric hand mixture. Gradually add sugar. Add milk to thin if necessary.

I frost the top of the bottom layer, and then place the top layer on and frost the sides and top. I frost on wax paper, so it is easy to move to a plate or cake platter. I also shave the top of the cakes to make it flat.

I garnish the cake with some grated carrots and sometimes with some of the flaked coconut as well. YUM!

1 comment:

~Amber~ said...

Oh wow, this looks great. I love a good carrot cake, and now I am craving one.