Thursday, April 3, 2008

Chicken with a Raspberry-Balsamic Glaze




Tonight was one of those nights where I stood in front of my fridge and pantry until something hit me. I quickly noticed that I had thin-sliced chicken breasts, raspberry preserves, mushroom, onions, and balsamic vinegar and asparagus. Presto - dinner was inspired! I had remembered reading about a balsamic-raspberry chicken in a few different places, one of which was in Cara's blog. I looked to her recipe for inspiration, but didn't follow it exactly.

I started by sautéing some onions (1/2 an onion) and a handful of mushrooms in a large pan with some olive oil cooking spray. I added salt and pepper, a little garlic powder, and some thyme. Once softened, I removed and added the chicken. I cooked on both sides for about 4-5 minutes until cooked and slightly browned. I then added the mushrooms and onions back in, and added the preserves, vinegar, more fresh thyme, and a touch of chicken stock to help loosen up the preserves. I stirred until combined, let reduce a little bit, then added the chicken back to the pan for a few minutes.

I served with roasted asparagus with garlic, salt, and pepper. A tasty and healthful meal!

*My only regret was not using seedless preserves (which I had, but just opted for the regular stuff) because I thought the cruch of the seeds was odd in this dish.

No comments: