Monday, June 23, 2008

Alice Springs Chicken


Matt and I go to The Outback occasionally (I know, GASP – a chain)…and he loves this dish. Not sure why he even ordered it, since he is quite the meat and potatoes kind of guy, but he did, and he fell in love.

I have to admit that the idea to recreate this did not come 100% from me. I knew I wanted to make him a special meal as a surprise, something he would enjoy, and not think I was doing for purely selfish reasons (to try a new recipe or ingredient, or to create my own version of a dish, etc. – which is my usual motive)…but I wasn’t sure what I wanted to make, until I came across Lani’s blog, Pleasure Cooker, and saw her post for Alice Springs Chicken. I used this as inspiration, but sort of did my own thing, mainly to cut fat and calories. I cut out some of the oil, used fat free olive oil spray to sauté the onions and mushrooms and the chicken, used turkey bacon (Matt never noticed!), and used low fat cheese.

Matt was quite surprised, and very pleased. We both enjoyed this meal, but I mostly enjoyed the fact that he loved it so much!

No comments: