Monday, October 8, 2007

Comfort Food - Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes


My husband is a typical man. He grew up eating heavy, classic Italian dinners every Sunday. So, my rule of no starches really cramps his style! I wouldn’t say we never have starch, we actually have brown rice quite a bit, and occasionally we have whole wheat pasta…we just rarely have regular old pasta and almost never have potatoes. So, I decided to make him the ultimate comfort food meal, meatloaf with mashed potatoes. I used Emril’s recipe for Kicked Up Meatloaf, and made only a few minor adjustments. One, I omitted the veal, and simply added more beef and pork. Also, I omitted the peppers and celery from the mix recipe, and left off the bacon on the top.

Meatloaf is not my favorite meal, and certainly one I would not make if I could help it, but it was OK. My husband loved it, so I suppose it was worth it! And the potatoes, I must say, they tasted pretty darn good! Those were certainly a nice treat!

No comments: